Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professor of History
Office: 4124 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 4002 Mosse Humanities
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Office Hours: Fridays 1:15-2:15 or by appointment
My Research and Teaching Interests include Russian and Soviet History, Modern European History, Comparative Empires, the History of Human Rights, and Russian-American Engagement.
I am currently completing a book about the role of the Soviet Union in the Nuremberg Trials and the postwar development of international law: Soviet Judgment at Nuremberg: A Cold War Story, forthcoming with Oxford University Press.
Francine Hirsch. Empire of Nations: Ethnographic Knowledge and the Making of the Soviet Union. Cornell University Press, 2005.
- “The Politics of the Nuremberg Trials and the Postwar Moment,” in Political Trials in Theory and History, ed. Devin Pendas and Jens Meierhenrich. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2016.
- “The Nuremberg Trials as Cold War Competition.” Memory and Postwar Memorials: Confronting the Past as Violence, ed. Marc Silberman and Florence Vatan, 17-40. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2013.
- “The Soviets at Nuremberg: International Law, Propaganda, and the Making of the Postwar Order.” The American Historical Review 113, no. 3 (June 2008): 701-730.
- History 200 – Russia and America – Syllabus 2016 (pdf)
- History 201 – Russia Engages America; America Engages Russia – Syllabus 2014 (pdf)
- History 223 – Explorations in European History – Topics: “Revolutionary Russia”
- History 419 – History of Soviet Russia – Syllabus 2017 (pdf)
- History 424 – Soviet Union & World, 1917-1991 – Syllabus 2015 (pdf)
- History 600 – History of Idea of Human Rights – Syllabus 2010 (pdf)
- History 600 – Soviet Socialist Revolution through Film
- History 600 – Genocide, Justice, and Postwar Human Rights – Syllabus 2014 (pdf)
- History 600 – Stalin and Hitler – Syllabus 2016 (pdf)
- History 753 – Comparative World History
- History 850 – Graduate Seminar on the History and Historiography of the Soviet Union – Syllabus 2015 (pdf)
- History 891 – Postwar Europe – Syllabus 2013 (pdf)