During Spring 2021, and for the foreseeable future, the History Lab is seeing students remotely by appointment only.
How to Make a History Lab Appointment:
Please read through these instructions entirely before setting up an appointment!
- Sign up through our Starfish system
- You will be taken to a screen with a list of our current History Lab tutors and a “Schedule Appointment” button. You can click on each tutor to learn more about their specialties, but any tutor can help you with any class!
- Once you select an available TA and appointment time, the confirmation screen will look like this:
IMPORTANT: Once you click “confirm,” your appointment is not finalized until you fill out a quick intake form. Please fill out the form here before your appointment! Once you fill out the form, your Lab TA will then send you a meeting link. Even if are a returning student, we need you to complete this form for each appointment you schedule! Thank you!
If you have any problems, please email the Fall, 2020 Lab Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The History Lab is a resource center for undergraduate students studying, researching, and writing about the past. It is staffed by experienced graduate students from the Department of History.
Through individual tutoring, the Lab focuses on honing students’ abilities to form topics, conduct research, develop arguments and thesis statements, cite evidence, and write effectively. The Lab is equipped also to support challenges faced by English-language learners.
The History Lab is located in 4255 Humanities. The easiest way to find it is to enter the set of doors on the right as you approach the building through the N. Park Street parking lot. Take the stairs or elevator up to the Fourth Floor and go through the doors on the left and down that hallway. You’ll find the lab just as you round the corner at the end of that hallway.
Let us help you with your paper or research project, no matter your stage in the process. Our staff will help you become a sharp, analytical thinker with strong communication skills.
Helpful Writing Guides
Helpful Writing Guides – A series of short guides that is intended to give students quick introductions to both general writing mechanics and the application of those practices in history writing specifically.
- The entire Chicago Manual of Style is offered online! Click here to log in with your NetId.
- The Writing Center offers a guide to Chicago/Turabian citation.
- The History Lab offers helpful writing guides.