Welcome New Faculty

Paige Glotzer – Faculty Page

Paige GlotzerI research the history of housing segregation in the nineteenth and twentieth century. My first book, entitled Building Suburban Power: The Business of Exclusionary Housing Markets, 1890-1960, is currently under contract with Columbia University Press for its Columbia Studies in the History of U.S. Capitalism series. It charts how suburban developers, including Baltimore’s Roland Park Company, ushered in modern housing segregation with the help of transnational financiers, real estate institutions, and public policymakers. The effects of their efforts continue to be felt today. Portions of my research have been published in the Journal of Urban History and Public Seminar.

I am also interested in the connections between the rise of Jim Crow and colonialism and slavery worldwide. I recently completed a digital project that maps the British investors who financed one of the first segregated suburbs in the United States. In keeping with this turn toward global urban history, my next project will focus on the interactions between American realtors and Latin American consumers in the mid-twentieth century.

My teaching interests include U.S. history, transnational history, cities, business, and politics. Regardless of the specific topic, I alert students to the historical dimension of processes they might take to be natural.

In addition to conducting research and teaching, I have been invited to lead tours and give talks on urban history.

Daniel Stolz – Faculty Page

Daniel StolzI research and teach the history of the late Ottoman Empire and the emergence of the modern Middle East in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.  I am especially interested to understand how Ottomans used new kinds of technical knowledge to transform their society in the decades before World War I. My first book, The Lighthouse and the Observatory: Islam, Science, and Empire in Late Ottoman Egypt (Cambridge University Press, 2018) shows how new astronomical practices enabled the growth of the modern Egyptian state, as well as the emergence of Islamic movements that emphasized uniform and precise observance of ritual duties.  I am currently beginning research for a new book, Middle East Public Debt and Global Financial Knowledge. This project investigates the Ottoman state defaults of the 1870s as part of the global rise of sovereign debt and its forms of expertise.

In addition to The Middle East in the Twentieth Century (History 139), I offer courses that explore science, technology, and religion in Middle East History.