Position title: Department Chair; John W. and Jeanne M. Rowe Chair of Byzantine History; Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professor
Chair Office: 3211 Mosse Humanities
Office: 4106 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 4013 Mosse Humanities
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Office Hours: TBA
I am an historian of the medieval eastern Mediterranean, specializing in the society and culture of the eastern Roman Empire (the Byzantine Empire) in the ninth through twelfth centuries. I have strong interests in the late antique and classical antecedents of the medieval eastern Mediterranean cultures. Within Byzantine history, my particular research interests include: gender, civic religion and religious aspects of political culture, and historical memory and historiography.
Ph.D., Princeton University 1998
B.A., Yale University 1992
Videos & Podcasts
- “Byzantine Gender” Byzantium & Friends podcast, September 21, 2019.
“The Princess who Re-wrote History” TED-ed video, October, 2018
- “The Rise and Fall of the Byzantine Empire,” TED-ed video, April 9, 2018.
- “Anna Komnene, the Princess Historian,” Episode 73 of Historically Thinking podcast series by Al Zambone, Department of History, Augustana College, December 2, 2016.
- Byzantine Gender, under contract with Arc Medieval Press, Past Imperfect series.
- “Why the Byzantines Wrote History” In Proceedings of the 23rd International Congress of Byzantine Studies: Plenary Papers, Edited by Smilja Marjaović-Dušanić, Serbian National Committee of the Association Internationale des Études Byzantines, 2016, 265-276.
- “The Adventures of a Provincial Female Founder: Glykeria and the Rhetoric of Female Weakness” In Wiener Jahrbuch für Kunstgeschichte 60, edited by Margaret Mullett, Michael Grünbart and Lioba Theis, 2014, 153-162.
- “Lamentation, History, and Female Authorship in Anna Komnene’s Alexiad,” Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies 53.1, (2013): 192–218.
- “Organic Local Government and Village Authority.” In Authority in Byzantium, ed. Pamela Armstrong, Ashgate, 2013, 285-295.
- “Strong Women and their Husbands in Byzantine Historiography.” In The Byzantine World, ed. Paul Stephenson, Routledge, 2010, 72-82.
- “A history of Caesar John Doukas in Nikephoros Bryennios’s Material for History?” In Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies 32.2 (2008) 168-188.
- “Taxing Sophronia’s Son-in-Law: Representations of Women in Provincial Documents.” In Women in Byzantium: Varieties of Experience, 800-1200, ed. Lynda Garland, Aldershot: Ashgate, 2006, 75-87.
- “Information, ceremony and power in Byzantine fiscal registers: varieties of function in the Cadaster of Thebes,” Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies 25 (2001): 20-43.
- Vilas Distinguished Achievement Professor, 2016
- Co-Winner of the Prize in Memory of Nikolaos Panagiotakis, 2007 edition, for the essay “Power-Hungry Byzantine Empresses and Theodora’s Rhetorical Legacy: the functions of women in Byzantine historical narrative” given by the Università Ca’Foscari in Venice and the Greek Ministry of Culture.
- Dumbarton Oaks Bliss Prize Fellowship 1992-1994
- History 112 – The World of Late Antiquity, 200-900 C.E – Syllabus 2018 (pdf)
- History 145 – How to Succeed in College – Syllabus 2021 (pdf)
- History 200 – Crusades: Violence and Religion – Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 200 – Religious Change in Late Antiquity – Syllabus 2013 (pdf)
- History 313 – Introduction to Byzantine History and Civilization – Syllabus 2012 (pdf)
- History 500 – Byzantine Empresses and their Men – Syllabus 2010 (pdf)
- History 505 – History at Work – Syllabus 2016 (pdf)
- History 506 – History Internship Seminar – Syllabus 2015 (pdf)
- History 600 – Byzantine Empresses and their Men: Gender and Historical Memory in the Byzantine Empire – Syllabus 2019 (pdf)
- History 600 – Women, Men & Eunuchs: Gender in Byzantium – Syllabus 2012 (pdf)
- History 800 – Research Seminar in History – Syllabus 2020 (pdf)
- History 813 – Greek Historiography From Antiquity Through Byzantium – Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 952 – Seminar in Comparative History – Syllabus 2013 (pdf)
- History 978 – Teaching College History: An Introduction to Undergraduate Pedagogy – Syllabus 2017 (pdf)