Professor of History
Office: 4102 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 4022 Mosse Humanities
Office Hours: TBA
I am a historian of modern Japan. My research and teaching interests include Japanese international relations, World War Two in Asia, comparative imperialism, Japanese urbanism and urban modernism between the wars, local history, and most recently, sociology and social policy. I am currently working on two book projects: Middle Class Myths in Modern Japan: A Cultural History of Social Power and Sociology and the “Social Problem” in Prewar Japan.
Ph.D., Columbia University
M.A., Columbia University
B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison
Louise Young. Beyond the Metropolis: Second Cities and Modern Life in Interwar Japan. University of California Press, 2013.
Louise Young. Japan’s Total Empire: Manchuria and the Culture of Wartime Imperialism. University of California Press, 1998.
- “Ideologies of Difference and the Turn to Atrocity: Japan’s War on China,” in A World at Total War: Global Conflict and the Politics of Destruction, 1937-1945, eds., Roger Chickering, Stig Forster, and Berndt Greiner. London: Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- “Japan at War: History-writing on the Crisis of the 1930s”, in The Origins of the Second World War, Reconsidered (Rev. ed., Routledge 1999).
- “Marketing the Modern: Department Stores, Consumer Culture and the New Middle Class in Interwar Japan”, in International Labor and Working-Class History (No. 55, Spring 1999)
- History 104 – Introduction to East Asian History: Japan – Syllabus 2017 (pdf)
- History 201 – The Historian’s Craft: How Do Empires End? Defeat, Occupation and Post-Imperial Japan – Syllabus 2018 (pdf)
- History 455 – Japans Modern Century, 1853-1952: Rise & Fall of the Imperial State
- History 456 – Japan and World War Two in Asia – Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 500 – Culture, Power, and Empire: Japanese Expansion in Comparative Perspective – Syllabus 2012 (pdf)
- History 600 – Militarism and Fascism in Japan – Syllabus 2007 (pdf)
- History 600 – Japanese Urbanism – Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 680/690 – Honors Thesis Colloquium
- History 703 – History and Theory
- History 855 – Modern Japan: Reading History/Writing History – Syllabus 2015 (pdf)
- History 855 – Theory/History/Japan – Syllabus 2013 (pdf)
- History 855 – Modern Japan as Chronotope – Syllabus 2017 (pdf)