Carl F. Kaestle WARF and Vilas Research Professor of Educational Policy Studies and History
608.263.2319 | 608.262.1760 (messages)
My specialization is Educational Policy Studies. I teach undergraduate and graduate courses on the history of American and European education and on an array of reform movements in American history.
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.A., Bowling Green State University
B.A., Wilkes College
William Reese. Testing Wars in the Public Schools: A Forgotten History. Harvard University Press, 2013.
William Reese. History, Education, and the Schools. Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
William Reese. Rethinking the History of American Education. Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
William Reese. America’s Public Schools: From the Common School to ‘No Child Left Behind’. The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005.
William Reese. Hoosier Schools: Past and Present. Indiana University Press, 1998.
William Reese. The Origins of the American High School. Yale University Press, 1995.
William Reese. The Social History of American Education. University of Illinois Press, 1988.
William Reese. Power and the Promise of School Reform: Grassroots Movements During the Progressive Era. Rev. edition, Teachers College Press, 1986.
- History 412 – History of American Education – Syllabus 2015 (pdf)
- History 478 – Comparative History of Childhood and Adolescence – Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 500 – Historical Publishing Practicum – Syllabus 2013 (pdf) – Bibliography 2013 (pdf)
- History 906 – Pro-seminar in History of Education – Syllabus 2015 (pdf)
- History 940 – Seminar in American History 1900-1945 – Syllabus 2019 (pdf)