Position title: Carl F. Kaestle WARF and Vilas Research Professor of Educational Policy Studies and History
Phone: 608.263.2319 | 608.262.1760 (messages)
Office: 5102 Mosse Humanities & 215 Education Building
Mailbox: 5007 Mosse Humanities
Curriculum Vitae (pdf) | Website
Office Hours: TBA
Joint Appointment: Educational Policy Studies
My specialization is Educational Policy Studies. I teach undergraduate and graduate courses on the history of American and European education and on an array of reform movements in American history.
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
M.A., Bowling Green State University
B.A., Wilkes College
William Reese. Testing Wars in the Public Schools: A Forgotten History. Harvard University Press, 2013.
William Reese. America’s Public Schools: From the Common School to ‘No Child Left Behind’. The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005.
William Reese. Power and the Promise of School Reform: Grassroots Movements During the Progressive Era. Rev. edition, Teachers College Press, 1986.
- History 412 – History of American Education – Syllabus 2023 (pdf)
- History 478 – Comparative History of Childhood and Adolescence – Syllabus 2020 (pdf)
- History 500 – Historical Publishing Practicum – Syllabus 2013 (pdf) – Bibliography 2013 (pdf)
- History 906 – Pro-seminar in History of Education: History of Childhood and Adolescence – Syllabus 2020 (pdf)
- History 906 – Pro-seminar in History of Education: The History of School Reform – Syllabus 2015 (pdf)
- History 940 – Seminar in American History 1900-1945 – Syllabus 2019 (pdf)