Merle Curti Associate Professor of History
Office: 4112 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 4023 Mosse Humanities
Office Hours: On Leave
My specialization is U.S. intellectual and cultural history. My research and teaching interests include the history of philosophy, political and social theory, religion, literature, and the visual arts; the transatlantic flow of intellectual and cultural movements; print culture; and cultural studies. I teach a range of courses on U.S. thought and culture, and intellectual and cultural history from a transnational perspective.
Ph.D., Brandeis University
B.A., University of Rochester
James T. Kloppenberg (Co-editor) , Jennifer Ratner-Rosenhagen (Co-editor) , Joel Isaac (Co-editor) , Michael O'Brien (Co-editor) . The Worlds of American Intellectual History. Oxford Universiity Press, 2016.
James L. Baughman (Co-editor) , James P. Danky (Co-editor) , Jennifer Ratner-Rosenhagen (Co-editor) . Protest on the Page: Essays on Print and the Culture of Dissent since 1865. University of Wisconsin Press, 2015.
Jennifer Ratner-Rosenhagen. American Nietzsche: A History of an Icon and His Ideas. University of Chicago Press, 2012.
- “American Dreaming 3.0,” Aeon (May 2017)
- “A Mind of One’s Own,” Dissent (Fall 2015)
- “Anti-Intellectualism as Romantic Discourse” (Daedalus, Spring 2009).
- “Conventional Iconoclasm: The Cultural Work of the Nietzsche Image in Twentieth-Century America” (Journal of American History, December 2006).
- “‘Dionysian Enlightenment’: Walter Kaufmann’s Nietzsche in Historical Perspective” (Modern Intellectual History, August 2006).
- History 102 – U.S. History, Civil War to the Present – Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 201 – A History of Your Parents’ Generation, 1970-90s
- History 221 – Explorations in American History: “Ideas and Culture in 19th Century America”
- History 300 – Madison Intellectual Life
- History 302 – History of American Thought, 1859 to the Present – Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 600 – Emerson, Nietzsche, & American Culture – Syllabus 2009 (pdf)
- History 600 – Public Intellectuals in the U.S. – Syllabus 2008 (pdf)
- History 600 – African-American Intellectual History – Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 901 – Studies in American History: “U.S. Intellectual and Cultural History”
- History 951 – U.S. Intellectual & Cultural History: Literature of the Field- Syllabus 2009 (pdf)