Judith W. Leavitt
Position title: Emeritus Professor
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Interests: History of medicine and public health in America; women and medicine.
Affiliations: History of Medicine, Gender and Women’s Studies
Ph.D., University of Chicago, History, 1975
M.A., University of Chicago, History, 1966
B.A., Antioch College, Social Science, 1963
Judith W. Leavitt. Make Room for Daddy: The Journey from Waiting Room to Birthing Room. University of North Carolina Press, 2009.
Judith W. Leavitt. Women and Health in America. no. 2nd Edition, University of Wisconsin Press, 1999.
Judith W. Leavitt (Co-editor), and Ronald L. Numbers (Co-editor). Sickness and Health in America: Readings in the History of Medicine and Public Health. Vol. Third Edition, Revised, University of Wisconsin Press, 1997.
Judith W. Leavitt. The Healthiest City: Milwaukee and the Politics of Health Reform. Vol. Wisconsin Edition, University of Wisconsin Press, 1996.
Judith W. Leavitt. Brought to Bed: Childbearing in America, 1750-1950. Oxford University Press, 1986.
- MHB 504: Society and Health Care in America
- MHB 509: Development of Public Health in America (Syllabus)
- MHB 720: Historical Perspectives in Medicine
- MHB 531: Women and Health in American History
- MHB 725: Topics in American Medicine
- MHB 919: Graduate Studies in Medical History
- MHB 920: Research Seminar in Medical History and Public Health
- Women’s Studies 430: Biology and Psychology of Women
- Women’s Studies 431: Childbirth in the United States (Syllabus)