Position title: Professor of History
Office: 5121 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 5001 Mosse Humanities
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
Office Hours: TBA
My specializations are Social History; Epigraphy; The Ancient Novel; The Cities and Communities of Roman Italy and the Western Provinces. My Research and Teaching Interests include The Ancient Novel; Childhood; Slavery; Freedmen; Gladiators; Food. In general, I use a variety of source material to describe and analyze the history of mentalities of the Greco-Roman world. I am currently interested in the Identity(ies) of the Roman Freedman.
- Ancient Youth: The Ambiguity of Youth and the Absence of Adolescence in Greco-Roman Antiquity, (Amsterdam 1991).
- “Textile Manufacturing for a Religious Market: Artemis and Diana as Tycoons of Industry”, in: Willem Jongman/Marc Kleijwegt (eds.), After the Past: Essays in Ancient History in Honour of H. W. Pleket, Leiden 2002, 81-135.
- Cum vicensimariis magnam mantissam habet (Petronius Satyricon 65.10), American Journal of Philology 123 (2002), 275-86.
- History 110 – The Ancient Mediterranean – Syllabus 2021 (pdf)
- History 200 – Historical Studies: Carnage in Rome – Syllabus 2020 (pdf)
- History 223 – Explorations in European History – Topics: “Roman Women (and Men)” – Syllabus 2008 (pdf)
- History 303 – A History of Greek Civilization – Syllabus 2012 (pdf)
- History 307 – History of Rome: The Republic – Syllabus 2022 (pdf)
- History 600 – Living and Working in Pompeii – Syllabus 2021 (pdf)
- History 600 – Gladiators in Rome and the western provinces of the Roman Empire – Syllabus 2010 (pdf)
- History 801 – Roman Biographies
- History 801 – Cities, Benefactors and the Family in the Greek East – Syllabus 2008 (pdf)
- History 801 – Lucian: Four Philosophical Lives – Syllabus 2010 (pdf)