My specializations are Modern Britain & Ireland. My Research and Teaching Interests: As an Irish Historian, I have had three main research interests over the years: 1) landlord-tenant relations; 2) agrarian rebellions; and 3) popular religion. To these might be added a fourth: the Great Famine of the late 1840’s. For teaching purposes I am also keenly interested in modern British history, Irish nationalist politics and in popular religion in Western Europe in the years 1500-1900.
B.A., Fordham College
- The Great Irish Potato Famine (2001).
- Irish Popular Culture, 1650-1850 (1999), co-edited with Kerby A. Miller.
- Irish Peasants (1983), co-edited with Samuel Clark.
History Courses Taught
- History 124 – British History 1688-present
- History 200 – Historical Studies – Topics: “Popular Religion in Europe 1500 – 1900”
- History 365 – Revolution and Nationalism in Ireland, 1780 to the Present
- History 600 – The Celtic Tiger and Modern Ireland
- History 837 – Seminar—History of Modern Britain and Ireland