Among our distinguished PhDs in History and History of Science are the following winners of the Pultizer Prize in History:
- Bernadotte Everly Schmitt (History PhD, 1910)—in 1931 for The Coming of the War, 1914 (1930).
- R. Carlyle Buley (History PhD, 1925)—in 1951 for The Old Northwest: Pioneer Period, 1815-1840 (1950).
- T. Harry Williams (History PhD, 1937)—in 1970 for Huey Long (1969).
- Thomas K. McCraw (History PhD, 1970)—in 1985 for Prophets of Regulation (1984).
- Edward J. Larson (History of Science PhD, 1984)—in 1998 for Summer for the Gods (1997).
- David W. Blight (History PhD, 1985)—in 2019 for Frederick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom (2018).
The full list of Pulitzer Prize winners is available online.