My research interests include: Military History, History of Military Medicine, and Civil-Military relations. In particular development of military medicine as part of the overall military system.
S.B., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
M.D., Louisiana State University School of Medicine-New Orleans
- U.S. Military History and History of Medicine
- “Development of Medical Doctrine for Amphibious Warfare by the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps, 1920-1939”
Working Dissertation Title
- “More Than Sawbones: The Development of Military Medicine as a Profession in the United States, 1860-1920”
- “Medical Planning for Gallipoli” chapter in Glimpsing Modernity, Military Medicine in WWI, Cambridge Scholars. 2016 .
- “Development of Medical Doctrine for Amphibious Warfare by the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps, 1920-39” (part I) Marine Corps History, 1:2, Winter, 2016. (part 2) 1:3 Summer, 2016. (Part III pending).
- Book Review “Navy Medicine in Vietnam: Oral Histories From Dien Bien Phu to the Fall of Saigon” Journal of Military History, 73:4, October, 2009. .
- Book Review “Casualties of History: Wounded Japanese Servicemen and the Second World War” H-Net: View Website.
- Multiple medical and military publications (orthoapedic surgery, hand surgery, military medicine).
- Lieutenant Colonel Lily H. Gridley Memorial Master’s Thesis Fellowship (Marine Corps Heritage Foundation and Marine Corps University).
- American Historical Association
- Society for Military History
- Society for the History of Medicine
- Society for the History of Navy Medicine,
- Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (fellow)
- Association of American Orthopaedic Surgeons (fellow)
- American College of Surgeons (fellow)
- Sigma Xi,Alpha Omega Alpha.
Courses Taught as TA
- History 434 – US Foreign Policy 1898-Present