Hye Eun Choi
Lecturer: History 108 - Introduction to East Asian History - Korea
Advisor: Charles Kim
Office: 5269 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 5050 Mosse Humanities
Office Hours: Mondays, 11:00-12:00, Wednesdays 11:00-12:00, Fridays 11:00-12:00
My dissertation project is a multilayered cultural history that explores the birth of the Korean recording industry during the Japanese colonial era. By situating my project at the intersection of empire and global, capitalist sound culture, I seek to place the Korean recording industry squarely within not only the regional history of the Japanese empire but also the history of the global recording industry.
M.A., University of Texas-Austin (in Asian Studies), 2010
B.A., Dong-A University, South Korea (in Communication), 1994
- East Asian, Korea, Japan
- “Untold Narratives and Inchoate Histories: Remembering the Pusan and Masan Uprising of 1979”
Working Dissertation Title
- “The making of the Recording Industry in Colonial Korea, 1910-1945”
- 2016 “The Emergence of Transnational Recording Companies in the Japanese Empire and Local Autonomy in Korean Record Production,” Journal for Japan-Korea Cultural Exchange Foundation, vol. 22:181-204.
- 2015 “The Nipponophone Company and Record Consumption in Colonial Korea” International Journal of Korean History, vol. 20(1): 85-116.
- 2014 “Ilbon Ch’ugŭmgi Sanghoe wa Singminji Chosŏn ŭi Ŭmban Sijang” [Nipponophone Company and Record Market in Colonial Korea] Taejung ŭmak, vol. 14: 46-72.
- 2009 “Minjung Kayo of the South Korean Democracy Movement: A Study of the Socio-Political Influence of ‘Songs of the People’,” East Asia Forum, vol. 12: 1-19.
- The Pantzer Fellowship, Fall 2017
- Mellon-Wisconsin Summer Fellowship, Summer 2017
- Fall 2016 History Department Dissertation Research Travel Award
- Summer 2016 Fellow, SSRC Korean Studies Dissertation Workshop
- Fall 2015 History Department Dissertator Fellowship, UW-Madison
- 2014 – 2015 The Japan-Korea Cultural Foundation Fellowship
- 2014 – 2015 Japan Foundation Japanese Studies Fellowship (declined)
- 2014 – 2015 SSRC-JSPS Fellowship for ABDs and Recent PhDs (declined)
- Spring 2014 Junior Fellowship, Kyujanggak Institute for Korean Studies, SNU
- Fall 2013 Chancellor’s Fellowship, UW-Madison
- 2011 – 2013 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship
- Summer 2012 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS)Fellowship
- Summer 2011 Graduate Student International Field Research Award, UW-Madison
- 2010 – 2011 Chancellor’s Fellowship, UW-Madison
- Spring 2010 East Asia Graduate Award, UT-Austin
- 2009 – 2010 East Asia Graduate Fellowship, UT-Austin
- Fall 2009 Korean Mentorship Award, UT-Austin
- Summer 2009 POSCO Summer Research Fellowship
- 2008 – 2009 POSCO Graduate Fellowship
- Association for Asian Studies
Courses Taught as TA
- History 104 – Introduction to Japan (Spring 2010)
Courses Taught as Instructor
- History 108 – Introduction to Korean Culture (Spring 2017)