Employment Information

Library MallWelcome to the Department of History at the University of Wisconsin- Madison! Below is information necessary to review before your appointment begins. After reviewing the information below, please feel free to contact Jana Valeo, the Payroll & Benefits/Financial Specialist, to ask questions or discuss your specific details.

If you are new to the UW payroll, there are certain forms and steps that must be completed in accordance with your appointment type. The required paperwork will vary whether you are a fellow or an employee.

Graduate assistants do not need to complete the new hire paperwork each semester. However, due to the variability in grad appointments, it may be necessary to complete some parts of the process more than once. For example, those on Fellowship do not need to complete an I-9 or a Criminal Background Check. However, when they become a teaching assistant, an I-9 and Criminal Background Check will need to be completed at that time.

New Hire Paperwork Includes:

  • Direct Deposit
  • New Hire Packet/W-4
  • Health Insurance Application
  • I-9 (not Fellows)
  • Criminal Background Check (not Fellows)
  • Keep your address up to date in MyUW

Additional Steps for International Students/Employees:

  • GLACIER is the tax compliance system for Foreign Nationals. It is very important that the record is kept up to date so that paychecks are taxed correctly. Glacier Information
  • Obtain ITIN (international tax identification number) or Social Security Number depending on the type of appointment. International Students on fellowship only do not need a Social Security Number until they become a student hourly, teaching assistant, project assistant or other employment. Further ITIN/SSN Details
  • International students are required to have health insurance. SHIP and the health insurance offered to employees and fellows through UW are different. When you enroll in the employer offered health insurance, you will receive an automatic waiver with the SHIP office. SHIP and Automatic Waiver Details

The I-9 Process

The I-9 process is now completely electronic and is contracted out to a company called GIS/Compli-9. It is required by the Department of Homeland Security for newly hired employees, however, those only on fellowships do not need to complete an I-9.You have three days from your hire date to complete the I-9 process (through step 3 below). Failure to do so can result in termination.

1. Receive email from GIS/Compli-9 and complete section 1.

  • You do not need to print out a paper copy because it is an electronic system.
  • See tips for international students/employees below.

2. Make an appointment with Jana Valeo to present the original documents that prove your identity and eligibility to work. Scans and copies are not allowed.

3. The employer completes section 2 of the I-9 using the documents provided and the process is complete.

I-9 Tips for International Students/Employee:

  • Noncitizen nationals are persons born in American Samoa, certain former citizens of the former Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, and certain children of noncitizen nationals born abroad.
  • Many international students are “an alien authorized to work until”
  • WAE date (Work Authorization End Date) is the date from your DS-2019 or I-20 and not your appointment end date

Criminal Background Check

If you need to complete a criminal background check, you will receive an email from GIS. Follow the instructions.

Payroll Information

  • If you do not have direct deposit set up, you will be required to pick up your check at 21 N Park Street, Suite 5101. Checks can be picked up during normal business hours of 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and a photo ID is required to pick up your check.
  • If you have not been paid by the University in more than a year, your direct deposit may become inactive.
  • Keep your contact information up to date to make sure you receive important notifications.
  • Payroll Services Website
  • Additional Payroll Information for Graduate Assistants


  • If you are a new employee eligible to enroll in benefits, you will receive an email or letter from the Campus Benefits Office notifying you of an opportunity to enroll. Follow the instructions closely.
  • You only have 30 days from your appointment start date to enroll. Make sure you enroll in a timely fashion.
  • If you are a new employee, you will enroll using the eBenefits portal in MyUW.
  • Enroll in Benefits 101. Enrolling in health insurance can be overwhelming. The Benefits Office offers many resources to help you through the process. Take advantage of these tools.
  • If you miss your enrollment period or are ineligible to enroll because you are not considered a “new” employee, you can enroll during a life event or open enrollment if you also hold a benefits eligible appointment.
    • A life event (for example: marriage, birth, loss of other coverage, etc.) creates an enrollment opportunity that generally lasts for 30 days from the event date. This period allows you to make changes to your plan. Information on Life Events
    • Open enrollment is in the fall of each year and allows you to make changes that will take effect January 1 of the next year.
  • Academic appointments are nine months long, which means that two insurance deductions need to be taken on the March, April, and May paychecks to cover insurance premiums over the summer months when you are not being paid. These are called summer prepays.
    • If you are on a twelve month appointment that ends in June and will switch to a nine month appointment in the fall, contact the Benefits Office. benefits@ohr.wisc.edu
  • Link to Benefits Service Website

Where to Find Payroll and Benefit Information in MyUW:

Benefit Information

  • Enroll in benefits using eBenefits
  • Enrollment Confirmation Statements
  • Summary of coverage currently active
  • List of Dependents
  • WRS Statement of Benefits
  • Update TSA

Payroll Information

  • Links to paper W4 and Direct Deposit
  • Tax Statements
  • Pay Stubs

Time and Absence

  • Unclassified Leave Reports
  • Access to HRS
  • Leave Balances

Personal Information

  • Update Address and Contact Information
  • Update preferred name