The History Lab
The History Lab is a resource center for undergraduate students studying, researching, and writing about the past. It is staffed by talented and experienced graduate students from the Department of History.
Through individual and group tutoring, the Lab focuses on honing students' abilities to form suitable topics, conduct research, develop arguments and thesis statements, cite evidence properly, and write using an effective process. The Lab is equipped also to support challenges faced by English-language learners.
The History Lab is located in 4255 Humanities. The easiest way to find it is to enter set of doors on the right as you approach the building through the N. Park Street parking lot. Take the stairs or elevator up to the Fourth Floor and go through the doors on the left and down that hallway. You'll find the lab just as you round the corner at the end of that hallway.
Let us help you with your paper or research project, no matter your stage in the process. From developing a topic and drafting a thesis, to revising and fine-tuning your citations, our staff will help you become a sharp, analytical thinker with strong communication skills.
All hours are by appointment only:
Monday - 9:00 - 5:00 pm
Tuesday - 9:00 - 5:00 pm
Wednesday - 9:00 - 5:00 pm
Thursday - 9:00 - 5:00 pm
Make an appointment with a Writing Consultant for a one-on-one consultation. Limit: One appointment per week. Please schedule appointments at least twenty-four hours in advance of the deadline for the assignment you wish to work on.
- Brad's Schedule - Mondays 9:00-5:00, Tuesdays 9:00-5:00
- Charlotte's Schedule - Wednesdays 1:00-2:30, Thursdays 10:00-12:00 and 1:00-2:00
- David's Schedule - Mondays - 10:00-5:00, Wednesdays 10:00-4:00, Thursdays 10:00-4:00
- Jeanne's Schedule - Mondays 10:00-4:00, Tuesdays 9:00-3:00, Wednesdays 9:00-4:00
- Jennifer's Schedule - Tuesdays 12:00-3:00, Wednesdays 10:00-5:00, Thursdays 10:00-3:00
- John's Schedule - Thursdays 10:00-1:45
- Monica's Schedule - Tuesdays 10:00-5:00, Wednesdays 10:00-5:00, Thursdays 11:00-5:00
- Piotr's Schedule - Mondays 1:00-4:30, Tuesdays 9:00-1:00, Thursdays 9:00-11:00 (all appointments held in 4269 Humanities)
- Zhijun's Schedule - Mondays 12:30-4:30
Please bring your assignment sheet, a paper copy of your essay, and any pertinent sources.
Helpful Writing Guides:
- Introductions (pdf)
- Book Reviews (pdf)
- Comma Usage (pdf)
- Movie Reviews (pdf)
- Passive Voice (pdf)
- Thesis Statements (pdf)
- Citations (pdf)
- Quotations and Paraphrasing (pdf)
- Titles (pdf)
- Research Proposals (pdf)
- Topic Sentences (pdf)
- Revisions (pdf)
- Primary Source Analysis (pdf)
- Historiography (pdf)
- Paragraphs (pdf)
- Conclusions (pdf)