Chair Phone: (608)263-1807
Chair Office: 3211 Mosse Humanities
Office: 5213 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 5012 Mosse Humanities
Domingos Álvares, African Healing, and the
Intellectual History of
the Atlantic World (book)
Curriculum Vitae: View PDF
Office Hours: TBA
Education: PhD: The Graduate School and University Center of the City University of New York;
MA: University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill; BA: University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
My Research and Teaching Interests center on Africans and their descendants in the broader world. I teach courses on comparative slavery, race and nation in the Atlantic world, comparative world history, the history of Brazil, and the history of South Africa. To date, my research has concentrated on the social and cultural histories of Africans in the Atlantic world. My next project will focus on the international dimensions of slavery in the United States. I have also begun several research projects related to South Africa.
- Domingos Álvares, African Healing, and the Intellectual History of the Atlantic World. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 2011.
- (ed. with Tejumola Olaniyan) The African Diaspora and the Disciplines. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 2010.
- “Mistaken Identities? Olaudah Equiano, Domingos Álvares, and the Methodological Challenges of Studying the African Diaspora.” The American Historical Review 114 (2009): 279-306.
- Recreating Africa: Culture, Kinship, and Religion in the African-Portuguese World, 1441-1770. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 2003.
History Courses Taught:
- History 278 - Africans in the Americas, 1492-1808
- History 279 - Afro-Atlantic Histories and Peoples, 1808-Present
- History 525 - World & The West from 1492
- History 555 - History of Brazil
- History 200 - Historical Studies
- History 600 - Advanced Seminar in History - Topics: "African Diaspora Peoples and History"; "The Image of Africa in the West."
- History 751 - Pro-seminar in History of Africa
- History 861 - Seminar in History of Africa - Topics: Topics: "African Diaspora Histories and Peoples"; "History of South Africa."