Office: 4134 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 4024 Mosse Humanities
Curriculum Vitae: View PDF
Office Hours: Walk-ins: Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:00 - 1:00, By Appointment Only: Tuesdays and Thursdays 1:00 - 3:00 (sign-up sheet outside office door)
Education: PhD: Columbia University;
MA: Columbia University; BA: Duke University
My specializations are Caribbean & Latin America.
My research and teaching area is the history of the Caribbean region, with emphasis on the Spanish-speaking nations and Puerto Rico in particular. I have worked on all periods and a variety of topics, ranging from slavery and the plantation economy, demographic history, and the reconstituted peasantries of the Spanish Caribbean, to race and racialization processes and the influence of racial imagery on nation-building.
- Ed. with Alfred W. McCoy, Colonial Crucible: Empire in the Making of the Modern American State. Madison, 2009.
- Puerto Rico: cinco siglos de historia. Bogotá: McGraw-Hill, 1993. Second ed., Mexico City, 2000. Third edition, 2007.
- Ed., with Margarita Zamora. Cuba: contrapuntos de cultura, historia y sociedad/Cuba: Counterpoints on Culture, History, and Society. Ediciones Callejón, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2007.
History Courses Taught:
- History 241 - Colonial Latin America
- History 243 - Colony, Nation, and Minority: The Puerto Ricans' World - Syllabus 2012 (pdf)
- History 347 - The Caribbean and its Diasporas - Syllabus 2014 (pdf)
- History 414 - Latino History and Politics - Syllabus 2013 (pdf)
- History 436 - Race, Class, and Colonialism in the Caribbean
- History 533 - Multi-Racial Societies in Latin America
- History 600 - Advanced Seminars in History - Topics: "Race and Nation in Latin America and the Caribbean"; "The Cuban Revolution - Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 730 - Pro-seminar in Latin American History - Topics: "The Literature of Caribbean History" - Syllabus 2012 (pdf); "Caribbean Historiography"; "Capitalism & Slavery in the Caribbean"- Syllabus 2014 (pdf);
- History 829 - Research Seminar in Latin American History - Syllabus 2014 (pdf)
- History 982 - Seminar in Latin American Area - Topics: "Caribbean Peasants in Comparative Historical Perspective" Syllbus 2011 (pdf)