Office: 4124 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 4002 Mosse Humanities
Curriculum Vitae: View PDF
Office Hours: Tuesdays 11:00 - 12:30 or by appointment
Education: PhD: Princeton;
MA: Princeton; BA: Cornell
My specializations are Russian and Soviet history.
My Research and Teaching Interests include Russian and Soviet History, Modern European History, and Comparative Empires.
- Empire of Nations: Ethnographic Knowledge and the Making of the Soviet Union (Cornell University Press, 2005).
- "Toward a Soviet Order of Things: The 1926 Census and the Making of the Soviet Union," in S. Szreter, H. Sholkamy, and A. Dharmalingam eds., Categories and Contexts. Anthropological and Historical Studies in Critical Demography (Oxford University Press, 2004).
- “Getting to Know ‘The Peoples of the USSR’: Ethnographic Exhibits as Soviet Virtual Tourism, 1923-1934,” Slavic Review 62, no. 4 (Winter 2003): 683-709.
- History 223 - Explorations in European History - Topics: "Revolutionary Russia"
- History 600 - Advanced Seminar in History - Topics: "History of Idea of Human Rights" Syllabus 2010 (pdf); "Soviet Socialist Revolution through Film "
- History 753 - Comparative World History
- History 850 - Seminar—History of the Soviet Union & Modern History of Early Central Europe
- History 891 - Postwar Europe - Syllabus 2013 (pdf)