Office: 4111 Mosse Humanities
Mailbox: 4008 Mosse Humanities
Curriculum Vitae: View PDF
Office Hours: Fridays 4:00 - 6:00
Education: PhD: UC-Berkeley;
MA: Pontificio Instituto di Studi Arabi e d’Isalamistica; BA: UC-Berkeley
My specializations is Middle East (Medieval)
My Research and Teaching Interests include Social and cultural history of the medieval Middle East: comparative history; comparative family history. Teaching fields: the Middle East from antiquity to the twentieth century; Muslim responses to the Crusades; Middle Eastern citires from Late Antiquity to the twentieth-century; nineteenth-century Islamic political movements; nineteenth-century Egypt and Syria.
- Knowledge and Social Practice in Medieval Damascus, 1190-1350 (Cambridge University Press, 1994).
History Courses Taught:
- History 205 - The Making of the Islamic World: The Middle East, 500-1500 - Syllabus 2014 (pdf)
- History 439 - Islamic History From the Origin of Islam to the Ottoman Empire - Syllabus 2010 (pdf)
- History 225 - The First Islamic Empire - Syllabus 2014 (pdf)
- History 600 - Advanced Seminar in History - Topics: "Family & Gender in Medieval Islam "; "Shiism in Iraq "; "Islam and Politics" Syllabus 2009 (pdf)
- History 680/690 - Honors Thesis Colloquium
- History 851 - Seminar on Ottoman and Middle East History
- History 858 - Seminar in Problems of Islamic History - Topics: "Medieval Islamic Social History"