I am a historian of social movements, particularly interested in the relationship between religion and the state. My research focuses upon transnational ethnic and religious minorities in Southeast Asia, especially across the Vietnamese-Cambodian borderlands. I am most interested in the study of cultural frontiers and how they manifest in the interactions between local and global actors. Religions of interest in my research include: Animism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism, Confucianism, and Islam. Important issues of political interest include capital investment in Southeast Asia, development, land rights, water rights, and indigenous rights, along with the impact of new media and new forms of cultural production.
- Comparative Borderlands; Highland-Lowland Relations of Southeast Asia; History and Politics of the South China Sea; Diaspora History and Literature
- "A Southeast Asian Palimpsest: Akhar Thar 1700-present"
Working Dissertation Title:
- "Khik Agam Cam: Caring for Cham Religions in Mainland Southeast Asia, 1651-1969”
- BA Oberlin College: History & Religion (Double Major) 2007
- 2016 “Sri Mariamman Worship in the Gulf of Thailand.” The Newsletter. International
Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS). 73: 10-11.
2015 “The Mother Goddess of Champa: Po Ina Nagar.” SUVANNABHUMI: Multi-
Disciplinary Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, 7(1): 107-138.
- 2015 “Impermanent Frescoes: Localization of the Ramayana in Mainland Southeast
Asia.” The Newsletter. International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS). 71: 6-7.
2015 “Comparative Borderlands across Disciplines and across Southeast Asia.” Asian
Highlands Perspectives, 35: 197-217.
2014 Cham-Vietnamese-English/Vietnamese-Cham-English Dictionary. Co-author with
Sakaya et al. Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam: Tri Thuc Publishing House.
- 2016 VILAS Conference Travel
- 2015 Exceptional Service in Teaching Award
- 2015 Mellon-Wisconsin Summer Dissertation Fellowship
- 2014 Honored Instructor Award
- 2014 VILAS Conference Travel
- 2014 FLAS Khmer, Summer
- 2014 Travel Award, Association of Asian Studies (Conference)
- 2014 Travel Award, Vietnamese Studies Group (Conference)
- 2013-2014 Herfurth Fellow, Department of History
- 2013-2014 Senior Research Fellowship, Center for Khmer Studies
- 2013 VILAS Conference Travel
- 2013 Early Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2012 Research Fellowship, Center for Southeast Asian Studies
- 2012 Vietnamese Advanced Summer Institute (VASI)
- 2011 FLAS Vietnamese, Summer
- 2011 Travel Award, Association of Asian Studies (Conference)
- 2011 Travel Award, University of Western Ontario (Conference)
- 2010-2011 FLAS Vietnamese
- 2010 FLAS Vietnamese, Summer
- Association of Asian Studies (AAS)
- American Academy of Religion (AAR)
- Vietnamese Studies Group (VSG)
Courses Taught as TA:
- History of the Afro-Atlantic: 1791-Present
- History of the Vietnam Wars
- Introduction to Buddhism
- Religions in a Global Perspective
Courses Taught as Instructor:
- History of Rap: Global Hip Hop & Social Activism
- Introduction to World Religions (University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh)