I'm a third year PhD student studying modern Japanese history under Professor Louise Young. I'm currently conducting research for my dissertation on the demobilization and reintegration of five million Japanese soldiers into postwar Japanese society and their critical role in forming the identity of the postwar Japanese state. My research will specifically examine Allied and Japanese reintegration policy, disruption to normative gender roles in the workplace and at home caused by returning soldiers, and the way in which veterans used the medium of cinema and literature to craft a sympathetic image of former soldiers as victims of Japan's prewar-military, rather than symbols of militarism. My previous research for my MA involved examining how the Japanese newspaper, the Asahi, employed anti-communist rhetoric in its coverage of the Spanish Civil War to advocate for closer Japanese relations with Nazi Germany and Italy.
- Japanese History; Military History
- "Seeing Red: The Asahi Shimbun, Anti-Communism, and the Reporting of the Spanish Civil War in the Japanese Press"
Working Dissertation Title:
- "From Soldiers to Civilians: The Reintegration of World War II Veterans into Postwar Japanese Society, 1945-1960"
- BA, Asian Studies & Japanese Language and Literature: George Washington University, Washington, DC Sept 2008-Dec 2012
- Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan, Sept 2010-Mar 2011
Direct Enrollment, Department of Integrated Human Studies (Sōgōningengakubu)
- Mike M. Mochizuki & Samuel Parkinson Porter, "Japan under Abe: toward Moderation or Nationalism?" The Washington Quarterly Vol 36, No. 4 (Winter 2013)
- Davis-Gerstein Research Fellowship, Summer 2016, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Summa Cum Laude and Special Honors, 2012, George Washington University
- Phi Beta Kappa Academic Honors Society, 2012, George Washington University
- Boren Scholarship, AY 2010, National Security Education Program
- The Japan Bridging Scholarship, AY 2010, Kyoto University
Courses Taught as TA:
- History 103 - Introduction to East Asian History: China
- History 357 - The Second World War