My dissertation project is a multilayered cultural history that explores the birth of the Korean recording industry during the Japanese colonial era. Drawing on two years of dissertation research in Japan and Korea, I examine how the recording industry in colonial Korea became a vibrant space for transcultural adaptations, negotiations, and co-productions. By situating my project at the intersection of empire and global, capitalist sound culture, I seek to place the Korean recording industry squarely within not only the regional history of the Japanese empire but also the history of the global recording industry.
- East Asian, Korea, Japan
- "Untold Narratives and Inchoate Histories: Remembering the Pusan and Masan Uprising of 1979"
Working Dissertation Title:
- "The making of the Recording Industry in Colonial Korea, 1910-1945"
- 2010, University of Texas-Austin, MA in Asian Studies
- 1994, Dong-A University, South Korea, BA in Communication
- 2016 “The Emergence of Transnational Recording Companies in the Japanese Empire and Local Autonomy in Korean Record Production,” Journal for Japan-Korea Cultural Exchange Foundation, vol. 22:181-204.
- 2015 “The Nipponophone Company and Record Consumption in Colonial Korea” International Journal of Korean History, vol. 20(1): 85-116.
- 2014 “Ilbon Ch’ugŭmgi Sanghoe wa Singminji Chosŏn ŭi Ŭmban Sijang” [Nipponophone Company and Record Market in Colonial Korea] Taejung ŭmak, vol. 14: 46-72.
- 2009 “Minjung Kayo of the South Korean Democracy Movement: A Study of the Socio-Political Influence of ‘Songs of the People’,” East Asia Forum, vol. 12: 1-19.
- Fall 2016 History Department Dissertation Research Travel Award
- Summer 2016 Fellow, SSRC Korean Studies Dissertation Workshop
- Fall 2015 History Department Dissertator Fellowship, UW-Madison
- 2014 - 2015 The Japan-Korea Cultural Foundation Fellowship
- 2014 - 2015 Japan Foundation Japanese Studies Fellowship (declined)
- 2014 - 2015 SSRC-JSPS Fellowship for ABDs and Recent PhDs (declined)
- Spring 2014 Junior Fellowship, Kyujanggak Institute for Korean Studies, SNU
- Fall 2013 Chancellor’s Fellowship, UW-Madison
- 2011 - 2013 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship
- Summer 2012 Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS)Fellowship
- Summer 2011 Graduate Student International Field Research Award, UW-Madison
- 2010 - 2011 Chancellor’s Fellowship, UW-Madison
- Spring 2010 East Asia Graduate Award, UT-Austin
- 2009 - 2010 East Asia Graduate Fellowship, UT-Austin
- Fall 2009 Korean Mentorship Award, UT-Austin
- Summer 2009 POSCO Summer Research Fellowship
- 2008 - 2009 POSCO Graduate Fellowship
- Association for Asian Studies
Courses Taught as TA:
- History 104 - Introduction to Japan (Spring 2010)
Courses Taught as Instructor:
- History 108 - Introduction to Korean Culture (Spring 2017)