My research interests include modern Chinese history, the history of science and technology in modern China, early sinology and the history of technology.
My dissertation focuses on the concept of China’s “four great inventions” (paper, printing, gunpowder and the compass). Declared “great” by Renaissance Europeans, I am researching how this Western-born notion was reclaimed by China in the twentieth century.
- Chinese History, History of Science and Technology
- "Re-imagining the Past at the Beijing Olympics"
Working Dissertation Title:
- "Reclaiming the Four Great Inventions in Modern China"
- BA in History: University of Wisconsin, Madison
- MA in Pacific and Asian Studies: University of Victoria
- Confucius Institute Scholarship
- Taiwan US Alliance Summer Scholarship
- Fulbright US Student Grant
Course Taught as TA:
- History of Science 201: Origins of Western Science
- History of Science 222 - Technology and Social Change in History
- History 276 - Chinese Migration since 1500