My specializations is Middle East (Medieval)
My Research and Teaching Interests include Social and cultural history of the medieval Middle East: comparative history; comparative family history. Teaching fields: the Middle East from antiquity to the twentieth century; Muslim responses to the Crusades; Middle Eastern citires from Late Antiquity to the twentieth-century; nineteenth-century Islamic political movements; nineteenth-century Egypt and Syria.
- PhD - UC-Berkeley
- MA - Pontificio Instituto di Studi Arabi e d’Isalamistica
- BA - UC-Berkeley
|Knowledge and Social Practice in Medieval Damascus, 1190-1350 (Cambridge University Press, 1994). View Book Details
- History 205 - The Making of the Islamic World: The Middle East, 500-1500 - Syllabus 2015 (pdf)
- History 225 - The First Islamic Empire - Syllabus 2015 (pdf)
- History 439 - Islamic History From the Origin of Islam to the Ottoman Empire - Syllabus 2017 (pdf)
- History 851 - Seminar on Ottoman and Middle East History
- History 858 - Seminar in Problems of Islamic History - Topics: "Medieval Islamic Social History"