I am an historian of modern Europe in general, and of modern Britain more particularly. I am currently completing a book manuscript provisionally titled Morale: A History to be published by Oxford University Press in 2016. Briefly put, it tries to answer the following question: how is it that modern Britons (and many others who took a similar path) have come to understand questions of conduct and its management in terms of collective attitude and morale? I try to answer this question by tracing the myriad iterations of the concept itself as it had emerged during the past two centuries, and by examining how Britons first tried to understand what morale actually was and then sought ways to secure it, thereby giving rise to entirely novel institutional practices and forms of knowledge. Furthermore, I am interested in the ways in which the new problem of morale has been conceived as central to conflicting political projects during the second half of the twentieth century.
Research interests: British and European history since the 18th century; war and society, gender and masculinity; history of the human sciences; social theory and historiography.
- PhD - University of California - Berkeley
- MA - University of California - Berkeley
- BA - Tel Aviv University
- "Morale and the Postwar Politics of Consensus," Journal of British Studies 52, no. 3 (July, 2013), pp. 722-743. View Article
- “The Will to Work”: Industrial Management and the Question of Conduct in Interwar Britain,” in Laura Beers and Geraint Thomas, eds. A Brave New World? Empire and Nation-Building in Britain between the Wars (London: Institute for Historical Research, 2012).
- 2013 Center for the Humanities First Book Award, UW - Madison
- 2009-2011 Hanadiv (Rothschild) Postdoctoral Fellowship in European History
- 2008-2009 Newhouse Humanities Center Fellowship, Wellesley College
- 2007 James Kettner Prize for the Best Dissertation in History, UC Berkeley
- Lane Sunwall
- Kate Turner
- History 120 - Europe and the Modern World since 1815 - Syllabus 2012 (pdf)
- History 124 - Britain since 1688 - Syllabus 2014 (pdf)
- History 350 - The First World War and the Shaping of Twentieth‐ Century Europe - Syllabus 2014 (pdf)
- History 600 - London: A Modern Imperial Metropolis - Syllabus 2013 (pdf)
- History 600 - War & Society in Modern Britain - Syllabus 2013 (pdf)
- History 837 - Modern British Historiography - Syllabus 2011 (pdf)
- History 837 - Modern Imperial Britain - Syllabus 2014 (pdf)