- PhD: University of Virginia
- MA: University of Nebraska
- BA: Carroll College
- Experiencing Mount Vernon: Eyewitness Accounts 1784-1865 (Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2006).
- "Historical Memory, Sectional Strife, and the American Mecca: Mount Vernon, 1783-1853," Virginia Magazine of History and Biography (2001), awarded the Rachal Prize for best article in VMHB in 2001.
- The Price of Nationhood: The American Revolution in Charles County (NY: W. W. Norton, 1994; paperback 1995), awarded prizes from the Maryland Historical Soc. And the Amer. Assoc. for State & Local History.
- American Association for State and Local History
- David Library of the American Revolution
- Danforth Foundation
- Institute of Early American History and Culture
- Mational Endowment for the Humanities
- Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and Public Policy
- Virginia Historical Society
- Winterthur Museum and Library
- UW-Madison (Chancellor's Collaborative Teaching Award for Senior Faculty; Institute for Research in the Humanities; Vilas Associateship)
History Courses Taught:
- History 101 - American History to Civil War Era
- History 200 - Historical Studies
- History 344 - American Revolution 1763-1789
- History 464 - Dimension of Material Culture
- History 500 - Reading Seminar in History
- History 600 - Advanced Seminar in History
- History 901 - Studies in American History
- History 902 - Research Seminar: Americna History